Thursday, May 21, 2009

Angel and Demons

Couple of days ago,I went to watch the movie Angels and Demons,a movie based on Dan Brown's book,which I had read.He is my favourite author.I read the other book by him called Deception Point.Why I love his books? After read two of his books,I was captivated by the way he create a crisis.The way he invoke suspense and make me hold my breath when flipping to the next page.Apart from that, he serve fictions brilliantly,with some real facts backing it up,and you just gonna work that brain a little to get what he trying to say.A book which make me to think a little and in the end I got a little bit smarter,wiser.

Like in Deception Points,its more to biology stuff,while in Angels and Demons more on physics and little bit on religions.Lastly,I love the way he put twist to the plot,like the good guy at first might be a bad guy in the end,and he is really wicked in doing it.

Back to the movie,I was really,really eager on watching it,because I can see,how they gonna materialized the Illuminati ambigram.This is why film are sometimes more interesting as they are the physical forms of the imagination created by the author in his/her writing.

The film start off with an incident where a canister of anti-matter lost from a lab.For me,the head start was really jumpy,really sudden and abrupt.Maybe they trying to make it short as film only have 2 hours and plus to tell a story of hundred pages of writings.Then next scene was exposing the main character,Robert Langdon to the audience.Who he is also briefly explain to the audience,some may not know who he is,why he had Vatican's attention.

Then they meet the camerlengo and the Swiss guard's chief,which some alteration have been done there but logical as this is to make the story more simple and fit the time restriction.But,for me,the scene where the camerlengo was arguing with Ritcher was too brief,hardly can explain,can elaborate to the audience who he is,what kind of personality he is.Even after several scene at the Sistine Chapel also not enough.He is the antagonise for the movie,yet I saw him as just a simple,side-line character.Come on,he is the bad guy ok?If his personality isn't elaborate enough at the early part,then the twist at the end of the film wont be effective.It wont work,there will be no twist.Its like a chicken chop without the chicken itself.

Personally I like the camerlengo.I like how he become tainted by his own belief and obsession.Its like,that's how humans are.He know that sacrifice must be made to achieve certain goal.Yes.Its the reality,the truth,just the matter of how "big" the sacrifice is.Maybe its wrong,but thats what most of us had in mind when in need for solutions.Most film that I watched didn't support this philosophy apart from Watchmen.That is one odd,another-side-of-the-coin film.

Other than that,the anti-matter itself also briefly explain.My friend which joined me didnt even know what the hell is anti-matter when we walk out of the cinema.Different from the book version,the anti-matter play a big role in explaining how religions and science can coexist,can be comprehend together with repelling each other.I believe that is what this story is about.Its about the dilemma between science and religion,where science like day by day putting religion into unrelevantness by exposing that all the story they been telling was wrong, scientifically proven.Since the time of Galileo,but Galileo himself believe that both can coexist and understand each other,thats where the anti-matter comes in.

Victoria Vetra,who suppose to be the heroine but in the film,same with the camerlengo,just like a small,tiny meaningless character.Seriously,in the end Robert did have the chance to screw her.They more than just companion,more than just friends.I think that,their intimacy and compasion towards each other was important to be shown to the audience.

I know,film do have limitation like the time constrain,but I kinda disappointed because the message aint delivered very well.The story didnt meet it purpose in enlightening the audience on the issue raised

No comments:

Post a Comment